By Zakiya M. Ousley
In celebration of Women’s History month, this post is dedicated to all of the women who make the many sacrifices to keep their hair tight. Although we always show up looking like a million bucks and no one would ever know what we had to do in order to slay…we see you.
1. Gas. Yes, in your mind that “E” doesn’t stand for empty it mean “eh I think I can make it” You will drive that car on fumes in order to hold on to those coins to pay LaTanya for your hair. Besides once you get your hair done, you look good and your boo sees that you look good and fills up your tank and now you can pocket that twenty cause that’s all that you were gonna put on the tank anyway.
- Groceries. It’s Monday, your hair appointment is Thursday and you get paid on Friday. You have one can of tuna and crackers plus your job is catering lunch this week so you gon’ make it. That extra add-on to your meal. It’s only three dollars but that three dollars can go towards getting that wig straight!
3. Your Doctor’s appointment. You wonder if your cough is really that bad, or can you use that co-pay money towards touching up those roots? Decisions decisions.
4. That cute pair of sandals from Nordstrom, those sandals last for a season but these Brazilian/Malaysian hair bundles can last for a lifetime if you wash it right.
5. Cell phone bill. Aint no point in anyone trying to get in touch with you if you can’t get your hair did. You might as well wait outside of your hairdressers spot and do an IOU.
6. Commuting to work. Sometimes that subway fare or that bridge toll is not worth it. You could use those extra coins and that gas to get to your hair appointment. Just think about how well rested you will look with your beautiful tresses! I see you Dark and Lovely!
7. Your friend who you haven’t seen in years is in town just for one day and wants to ball so hard. Sorry boo, will have to catch you in another ten years. All this dough got to go to my hair. We don’t all have the luxury of waking up with the cute messy look.
8. Tipping your nail technician. Yes, Mei Ling did a wonderful job and you usually give her a nice tip, buut you just spent hella money on your bags of hair and Ifetayo at the Nappy or Not Braiding Salon will be looking for her coins and you don’t want her attitude to change.
Please free to contribute your sacrifices to the list in the comments. #dontgettickled
Zakiya M. Ousley is an upcoming independent comedy writer and screenwriter from Oakland, CA. She has earned a Master of Fine Arts degree in Screenwriting from Academy of Art University in San Francisco and her Bachelors of Arts Degree from Clark Atlanta University in Political Science. After having a change of heart about attending law school she began doing what she loves which is making people laugh and writing films and television. Follow her on Facebook: Zakiya Ousley, Instagram @zakishi08 and Twitter: @zakishi